Data Modeling opinion? Help?

From: Grabowy, Chris <cgrabowy_at_fcg.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 07:50:54 -0700

I am currently on a project where I have pretty much completed the logical/physical models. Since the client has there own data modelers, they have reviewed the models and wanted specific changes. I have agreed with all there changes except for one. I have tried to explain why this change would not be prudent, but they have insisted. To ensure that there change is enforced they went to there management and have now placed there change into the project requirements. Thereby, forcing us, the contractor, to implement this change into the model. I have run this change by several different people and they agree that it should not be implemented. I am now looking for feedback from the list. If you are willing to provide feedback then please read on...

This is a claims system. A mailed package was not delivered or is damaged, so the customer files a claim. Every claim consists of the mailer's name and address, and the addressee's name and address, plus some other information. Aside from the average consumer, a Business Mailer(BM) can also file a claim. The BM has a special agreement with the client and gets special treatment when filing claims, and therefore a Business Mailer profile is created.

Originally, I was going to describe the two versions of the model, but decided to post PDF files of the model on the web. The ERDs are accessible by clicking on the links below.

One way

http://www.geocities.com/christophergrabowy/oneway.pdf

Two way

http://www.geocities.com/christophergrabowy/twoway.pdf

Both models have a claim table, which contains all the miscellaneous claim information.

Both models have an address table. Oneway.pdf separates the BM addresses out, because they are not related to a claim. Twoway.pdf puts all the addresses(claim addresses and BM profile addresses) into the address table, and also includes the customer name fields.

Both models have a customer table. This is were the majority of the dispute revolves around.

In oneway.pdf, the customer table contains the customer names(mailer and addressee) that were submitted with the claim, it's PK is the claim_id. The Business Mailer profile is not directly related to a specific claim, so it is put into it's own table(a BM profile table), it's PK is the BM agreement number.

In twoway.pdf, the customer table contains the name of the customer that filed the claim, and the Business Mailer profiles. Since these types of data use different fields, then the "top part" of the customer table contains the customer name fields, and "bottom part" of the table contains the Business Mailer profile fields. And since either part of the table could be filled out, all the fields are null. Finally, since there is no natural PK for the combination of these two records types, a synthetic PK is generated.

If anyone has any questions then please don't hesitate to ask.

Again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

MANY THANKS!!!! Chris
"May Oracle be with you...always"

Author: Grabowy, Chris
  INET: cgrabowy_at_fcg.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jul 24 2001 - 09:50:54 CDT