RMAN duplicate database query

From: Hallas John <John.Hallas_at_btcellnet.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 06:21:10 -0700

Hello listers,

We have a instance on server A, a RMAN recovery catalogue on server B and a 3rd server C where we want to create a copy of the live database with a new sid.

This is on Oracle 8.1.7
The RMAN duplicate command seems to be the one to use but there is one hing I cannot understand.

All the documentation (and I have RTFM  until my head hurts) suggests that the run script needs to make 3 connections (target - server A, rcat - server B and new instance server C).

I do not know why we need to connect to the target sid (server A) at all. We don't want a synchronised duplicate at all but from midnight last night (or 3 days ago is fine). Therefore the rcat should all the information it requires. Furthermore we don't have remote_login_passwordfile created on server A and we don't really want to .

As part of the testing we tried setting the dbid to the name of the instance we want  but it still seems to expect the connection to server A.

Anyone have any experience in this area that could help me.

John

Oracle DBA
BTcellnet
* john.hallas_at_btcellnet.net
( 0113 388 6062
) 07710 472498

This email and any attachments may be confidential and the subject of legal professional privilege. Any disclosure, use, storage or copying of this email without the consent of the sender is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately if you are not the intended recipient and then delete the email from your inbox and do not disclose the contents to another person, use, copy or store the information in any medium.