Re: Locally managed tablespaces

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 21:27:56 -0700

If you are using uniform extents in LMT, you don't want to coalesce - ever. Since every extent will be the same size, it is useless overhead. This is even more true if you have adopted a "uniform extents" policy in any dictionary managed tablespaces. In fact, to reduce the overhead of throwing a new extent in the latter, you might try "pre-fragmenting" the tablespace by creating a junk table in it and manually allocating new extents, then dropping the table - during a low activity period of course.

-Don Granaman
[ceritifiable OraSaurus]

> SMON will only automatically coalesce if pctincrease is > 0 but you
> can always ask for a coalesce. Its part of the alter tablespace command
> and is the method I use.
>
> However, according to the doco there is no need to coalesce a LMT.

Lists

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_home.com