Re:RE: Another programming standard falls

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:01:20 -0700

Guy,

    Must be because your in the UK where it has not been front page news like here. The problem with Jave and Sun revolves around MicroSoft creating language extensions for their Visual J++ that would only work on Windows and Internet Explorer. That was why Sun went after MicroSoft since the original intent was to create a programming language that would be platform independent but MS was making things platform dependent. A VERY old MicroSoft thing. Now they have been slapped, so like any other spoiled kid they've decided to take their ball and go home, namely they are not shipping/installing a JVM in XP and Visual J++ is now history. With any luck they'll stay there too.

    BTW: Any of you heard about MS's .net strategy? I've a letter from the Gates on my desk about it. Seems according to that letter you guys will be able to create XML based services that I can include in my applications. Now I wonder how long you'll let me do that without paying you a royalty?? According to the Gates, forever.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Guy Hammond" <guy.hammond_at_avt.co.uk>
Date:       7/20/2001 2:00 AM

See, I don't get it. Microsoft bundle a bunch of stuff with their OS, and the anti-MS camp complain about Microsoft's so-called monopoly (or monopolistic practices, which aren't the same thing). And then Microsoft don't bundle some stuff with their OS, and the exact same people start complaining again... about what exactly? You can still download Java onto Windows easily, it's no big deal, what is the problem here?

Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 8:23 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Microsoft dropping Java code from Windows XP

In the wake of a January legal settlement with Java owner Sun Microsystems,
Microsoft plans to ship its Windows XP operating system without the code needed
to run Java applications.

http://computerworld.com/nlt/1%2C3590%2CNAV47_STO62358_NLTAM%2C00.html

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: Guy Hammond
  INET: guy.hammond_at_avt.co.uk

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jul 20 2001 - 09:01:20 CDT