RE: procedure error

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:10:55 -0700

Not true, you could do so before 8i. Look at the restricted_references pragma You could do stand alone functions without invoking the restricted references pragma. However, with packaged functions, I believe the pragma was mandatory.

One of the frustrating things, pre-8i, was when you developed a "pragmatized" function which, for example, wrote no database state and called an Oracle function which did not do so either, the function would violate its pragma because Oracle did not declare its function with the pragma.

8i invoked the trust argument to restricted_references to get around this.

Of course there's always the chance the function is trying to update the database. This isn't allowed from a select statement.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu

Author: Steve Sapovits