Re: Command History in SQL*PLUS

From: Paul Vallee <dbalist_at_pythian.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 07:26:08 -0700

Hey all,

There is also the generic solution to all of these problems:

Use emacs. Esc-X shell. Run sqlplus, or any other command, natively. Use regular emacs editing commands to access your history, copy and paste results into other buffers, search and replace, etc.etc.etc. Even write emacs macros (easy as pie - ctrl-X ( means record, ctrl-x ) means endrecord, ctrl-x e means execute.)

Digital Unix (sorry, Tru64) has emacs preinstalled by default, as does most linuxes, but you may have to get your own build on other platforms. sunfreeware.com is a good place to start for a sunpkg, can anyone else come up with a source for aix, hp/ux, etc?

For those of you worried about bloat, or not having this on every platform, there's also an excellent microemacs, available from jasppa.com. It has the shell feature, but I don't know about macros. It's extremely lightweight, and there are precompiled binaries for most platforms including Windows (!) on the www.jasspa.com website.

Hope this helps,
Paul

John,
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. The password will be displayed when using 'ied'. I have not found any solution to that, and the way 'ied' works I doubt if there is any workaround. Sorry. The script I mentioned will suppress the password, but I think it will be displayed when recalling previous commands. I do not know if there is anything like 'ied' on Sun or AIX or any other UNIX flavour.

Thanks.

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com

Author: Paul Vallee