RE: New Listener Question

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:41:50 -0700

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Glenn Travis wrote:

> I disagree. Mine only registers itself if I have the "service_names" entry
> in the init.ora file. Comment this line out and see what happens...

Actually, the parameter that controls instance registration with listeners for dedicated server is LOCAL_LISTENER. The default value for this parameter is "(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=)(PORT=1521))." That means that even if you don't set LOCAL_LISTENER, any instance will try to register with any listener running on port 1521 on the localhost.

SERVICE_NAMES allows you to specify multiple differently named databases as a single 'service' for clients, but does not change which listeners the instance registers with.

This information can be found in TFM, at the following URLs:

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76961/ch176.htm

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/network.817/a76933/concepts.htm#1036732

>From the "Net8 Administrator's Guide, Release 8.1.6:"

"By default, PMON registers with the local listener on server at the default local address of TCP/IP, port 1521."

--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Jeremiah Wilton INET: jwilton_at_speakeasy.net Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).