SORT_SEGMENT_REQUEST Timeouts 100%

From: Post, Ethan <epost_at_kcc.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:54:02 -0700

I logged a tar last night and have not gotten much help, here is the problem:

AIX 4.3 Oracle 8.1.7

*

Any operation requiring use of a temp segment takes forever to complete. Also attempting to drop TEMP tablespace is taking forever to complete. V$LOCK shows very long times on a TT and IS lock. The tablespace being dropped is only 500 MB and offline. V$SESSION_EVENT shows a constant enqueue wait. V$SYSTEM_EVENT has shown in past 100% timeouts on sort_segment_request event. This looks very much like bug# 1131535 but it says that it is fixed in 8.1.7?

*

Furthur analysis showed that the sort segment never got used then all of a sudden last night it started working and I have not been able to figure out why. I dropped the TEMP tablespace (eventually) and recreated a new LMT temporary tablespace and the trouble still occurred. Not occuring now so having problems diagnosing it. I did an event 10046 level 8 and the trace file was pretty useless to me, I could not make heads or tails of it. It showed a call to DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO which I assume is normal and it did not show the SQL I was running. Would this imply perhaps a problem with lib cache latch since it wasn't even in the trace file...? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ethan

This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may contain privileged, confidential, or proprietary information that is exempt from disclosure under law. If you have received this message in error, please inform us promptly by reply e-mail, then delete the e-mail and destroy any printed copy. Thank you.
Author: Post, Ethan
  INET: epost_at_kcc.com