RE: Re[2]: Chicago -> Mackinac yacht race

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:29:54 -0700

Hi Jonathan,

>This actually answers one question I had after looking at
>the photo in my local paper. See
>http://gennick.com/race_to_mackinac.html. I have a couple
>more questions that I'll throw out, if you don't mind:

The ideal thing would be to balance it just right so that the mast is vertical, but that rarely happens unless the wind is light - and that means a slow boat :(

>1. How do you suppose Larry moves this boat around from one race to the
>next? Would it fit on a truck?

I would imagine that he sails it (or rather the crew sails it) from one port to another. I can't imagine a yatch of that side being moved on a truck... These are ocean-going and have the latest in NavEquipment. It could also be 'towed' by another power-boat in case winds/conditions are not right. Many of them also have onboard motors to help during low wind conditions.

>2. The boat next to Larry's (see URL above) appears to have
>two wheels. Why? Am I misinterpreting what I'm seeing?

You mean the two wheel-like structures with men standing in front of 'em? I would imagine they aren't wheels but maybe pulleys or other assorted stuff. I don't know too much about Yatchs, being a 'Dinghy' man... The principles are more or less the same though.

John Kanagaraj

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com