Re:RE: Multiple Listeners

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:47:19 -0700

Dick,

Well, I've not seen the bug you describe and we have over 20 db's in one listener on several different boxes. We are in 8.1.6 on Compaq Tru64.

We did have a problem trying to get one listener in 8.1.6 to listed for 8.0.x and 7.3.x databases and WWS discovered that a bug they thought was fixed in 8i was not fixed for Compaq.
We're now looking at OID.  Any horror/success stories out there?

Stephen
>>> dgoulet_at_vicr.com 07/16/01 04:47PM
>>>Alex,    This gets down to the amount of trust your damagement has in you.  If theyare more tempted to listen to outside assertions that you have already heard,then it's time to move on because your being treated like a trained monkey.  Mymanagement does ask questions on this type of subject when they've heardsomething new outside.  It's normally just tossed in my direction as a "Hey Iheard that these folks are doing this.  What do you think?".  In which case Inormally find out what their doing & why and what Oracle says about it as well. If it does not make sense, it ends up in the round file & there is no morediscussion.  It also helps to have management types who have some knowledge ofthe technology.  The result is less of the problem you state.    From a listener perspective, there is only one absolutely good reason thatI've found to run more than one listener per node & that is that after you pass10 DB's in one listener it appears to run out of memory & won't listen for theothers.  I did find a bug on Metalink on the subject, but it was suppose to havebeen fixed in 8.0.6 though I've not verified that. Dick

Goulet____________________Reply Separator____________________Author:
"Hillman; Alex"
<Alex.Hillman_at_usmint.treas.gov>Date:       7/16/2001 3:01 PMBecause the more listeners you have - the better. If your damager ask youhow many listeners you are running and you answer one and he/she ( no sexizm:-)) heard that someone running 2 or 3 ( from another moro... err damager) -how would you explain why you are running only one. I hope that Ross can add more reasons to run at least 2 or better 3listeners.Alex Hillman-----Original
Message-----Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 6:21 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LIt is possible to define 3 listeners on 3 different ports, each oneserving another database, but why would you do dat? You have 3 littledatabases and one big bad listener whichs huffs and puffs and connects your clients to the instance of their choice. What would you benefit fromhaving 3 listeners?> -----Original Message-----> From: Edward W. Carr [<A
href="mailto:ecarr_at_qwest.com]">mailto:ecarr_at_qwest.com]> Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 5:42 PM> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L>

> I am currently running Oracle 816 64bit on a Solaris 8 box.
> I have three> databases on the system with one LISTENER for all
of them.  > Is it possible> to configure multiple listeners, one for each database?  We > have tried in> the past with no success... If there is a document on the web > somebody could> point me to, that would be great!  I have searched for one > but must not be> searching correctly.> > TIA,>

----------------------------------------------> Edward W. Carr>
UNIX Systems Administrator> Qwest Communications> Broadband Services Inc.> > -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com-- Author:
Gogala, Mladen  INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.comFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com-- Author:
Hillman, Alex  INET: Alex.Hillman_at_usmint.treas.govFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com-- Author:
  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.comFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jul 17 2001 - 12:47:19 CDT