Re: ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file # 1, block # 13559)

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:48:19 -0700

"Grabowy, Chris" wrote:

> This morning I got a CD full of data files from a remote client database
> server that went belly up. This production database (8.1.5 on NT) was put
> together by a group of developers with no backups setup. They sent the CD
> to me in hopes that I could recover the database. I laid the files down on
> my NT laptop and got the database up. I went to execute an export and got
> ORA-01578.
>
> I executed DBV against a few of the data files. The SYSTEM tablespace has
> 18 corrupt blocks and USERS has over 80 corrupt blocks. Just about every
> query against the dictionary is returning ORA-01578. For example, I get
> ORA-01578 when I try to figure out the object name for a corrupt block.
>
> So now I'm trying to figure out what my options are. I'm scanning books and
> Metalink, but I'm not finding much. Am I missing something? Help?
>
> Many TIA.
>
> Chris
> "Oracle is not with me...today"

If your database is worth it (i.e. if rebuilding it from scratch would be extremely costly) the only option you have is to ask for somebody form the Oracle Support to come with DUL, a tool written by one of their Dutch consultants which tries (no guarantee, even if in practice it's an effective tool) to make sense out of corrupted files and generate a .dmp or flat file for reloading what can be saved. But you will have to fork out $$$.
Otherwise, but the sad state of your dictionary will probably make this very difficult, you can try so SELECT round the corrupted blocks, and try to patch the missing pieces with whatever you can retrieve from indexes. This would mean that you have a list of tables and know where indexes are. Likely to be very time consuming, with a rather dim hope to get a usable result in the end.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Corporation