Re:RE: Why default domain?

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:50:28 -0700

I have to agree with Rich, We've used ONS from 7.3, 8.0, and now 8.1 and their never down, unless something catastrophic happens. But then we've got a cluster of 4 ONS servers, 2 at each campus for redundancy purposes.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Jesse; Rich" <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date:       7/11/2001 7:57 AM

Wow! Your ONS is frequently down? What version and what server? I've been running ONS on an 8.0.5.0.1 DB on OpenVMS for 419 days with the only interruption being a planned IP Class-B-to-Class-C upgrade on the network (Note: The SERVER didn't need rebooting -- just the networking!). Our backup ONS is on my Windohs Tuke workstation and is up and down, depending on the wind direction apparently. All clients use ONS only. Our main DB server has local naming as an "Oh Shitzu" backup so that DBMS_JOBs and such on that server don't need external naming resolution, should they require a link to another server.

BTW, we also don't currently use default domains, but I'll probably change that at some point, seeing as Oracle tools like OEM practically shove it down your throat <sigh>.

Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com             Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jul 11 2001 - 11:50:28 CDT