Re:I have a clarification

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:42:34 -0700

Sundar,

    What you did obviously works, for the most part, but is totally unsupported by Oracle and I would advise that you move that datafile back onto the local file system as soon as possible. Why one may ask; Well the reasons are varied, but mainly revolve around the reliability of NFS on a shared network. In the configuration you have there is NO guarantee that Oracle can remain in contact with the data file on a continuos basis and there is NO guarantee that changes in that datafile will in fact get there.

    This is a problem because NFS really writes data to the host machines memory, not the actual disk. Therefore just because the host machine 'gets' the data change there is no way for you to be assured that it will make it to the drive. This alone can cause Oracle a ton of trouble ending with the datafile being taken off-line as a hard drive failure, from which you will have to recover.

    The second problem has to do with the network. To use something like a NetApp filer, which does a similar thing and is supported by Oracle, you need to use a Virtual Lan or VLAN. This is a dedicated segment of the local area network dedicated to communication between the database server and the NetApp filer. There is NO other traffic on that segment. In your configuration there is your traffic to the NFS mounted file as well as all of the other network traffic. Now imagine that some toad decides to download a 200MB mpg file from the Internet which interrupts Oracle's access to that NFS mounted file. Bingo, call Sundar to do a datafile recovery!! Damn, I hate those 2AM calls!!!

Dick Goulet

Author: Rangachari Sundar <sundar_at_focusite.com>
Date:       7/11/2001 2:35 AM

Hi Gurus,

We have an Oracle 8i database running under Solris 5.6. I have production databases running on that. Due to space problem I have created tablespace for which the physical datafiles are pointing to a different linux Server thru NFSMount.

If in case the solaris has to be shutdowned next time i will issue the NFS command to get access to the Linux server files.

Now my doubt is Due to some problem Solaris machine was shutdown and next time it came up we did not NFS mount to the linux server. I started Oracle and i had absolutely no problem in bringing the database up. How come this could be possible? when my datafiles are in different server on which my tablespace is based upon.

Can anyone please give me clarification for this.

Regards
Sundar

Author: Rangachari Sundar
  INET: sundar_at_focusite.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jul 11 2001 - 09:42:34 CDT