RE: Performance/Optimization/Monitoring Tools

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:54:54 -0700

Other than those from the companies you have mentioned (and personally - as already mentioned - I would stay away from CA) here are a few others to bear in mind:

<SHAMELESS PLUG>
NORAD Surveillance Module - www.bradmark.com (also www.cool-tools.co.uk)
(Sits in between Spotlight & Foglight from Quest, except cheaper, well
established, and highly configurable)
</SHAMELESS PLUG>

Performance Centre - www.embarcadero.com
(Only version 1.something at the moment, but a solid start for a monitoring
tool)

Mamba - www.luminate.com
(it's free but a cool tool all the same)

Precise SQL - www.precise.com ?
(Very low impact on the actual server, meaning you can have very low
monitoring periods (2 seconds even) as they have mapped the system memory, and do not need to connect to the database to monitor it)

Experience from market:

CA
(Don't even go there, support is bad, the products may be good, but not
really going anywhere in a hurry)

Quest
(Good solid tools, constantly moving forward in development, support a
little flaky at times and pretty expensive, but widely used)

BMC
(Plenty of $$, hard to configure for monitoring (have even heard you need
consultants to do this) but again good tools if you can afford them)

This is really a quick overview..

HTH Mark

Author: Vergara, Michael (TEM)
  INET: mvergara_at_guidant.com