RE: Sizing a new server

From: Kimberly Smith <kimberly.smith_at_gmd.fujitsu.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:26:31 -0700

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Actually, it really depends on the industry at the moment as to whether or not money is no object.  Currently money is a huge issue.  The semi-conductor fabs are not doing so hot right now (at least not the memory producing ones).  Fabs are all pretty much in a slow down.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Robertson Lee - lerobe   [mailto:lerobe_at_acxiom.co.uk]Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 12:45   AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE:   Sizing a new server
  By
  the sounds of it, Kimberley was in a very similar situation to me when I was   working for a semi-conductor manufacturing company afew years ago (the worst   job I ever had).Basically money was no object and anything was feasible as   long as the fab kept running 24x7.

    <FONT face=Tahoma
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa     [mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]Sent: 09 July 2001     19:36To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:     RE: Sizing a new server
    Thanks Kimberly,
    I wish it was that way.  I
    have to justify my request with hard numbers or they are going to laugh at     me when I say, "Because that's what I want".  :)  They don't yet     know how I'd react to that, it would be a knee-jerk type of reaction     involving creative expletives...  not pretty.      Good for you.  At least you
    have some real hardware and true HA.  I wish I did     Lisa

      -----Original Message----- <FONT
      face=Arial size=1>From:   <FONT face=Arial
      size=1>Kimberly Smith [SMTP:kimberly.smith_at_gmd.fujitsu.com]
      Sent:   <FONT
      face=Arial size=1>Monday, July 09, 2001 12:51 PM <FONT
      face=Arial size=1>To:     <FONT face=Arial
      size=1>Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT face=Arial
      size=1>Subject:        <FONT
      face=Arial size=1>RE: Sizing a new server
      Get the biggest, kick ass server
      they will let you buy.  If your site is anything like mine they just
      keep asking for more and more databases.  So no matter what I have
      now I know its not enough.  I am really happy with the nice new
      N-class HP cluster I have sitting next door running Service Guard.  I
      am also getting a A-class database cluster for some important but not fab
      critical databases.  Now if I can only get ride of the 5 K-class
      database servers.  Its kind of like when you go from a fast to a slow
      PC.  Drives me crazy.  Not that there are issues with
      performance from the databases.  It would only be me, while
      playing (which of course means working) on the server, that would
      notice.

        -----Original
        Message-----From:<FONT
        face=Tahoma size=2> Koivu, Lisa [<A
        href="mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com">mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]<FONT
        face=Tahoma size=2>Sent: Monday,
        July 09, 2001 8:30 AM<FONT face=Tahoma
        size=2>To: Multiple recipients of
        list ORACLE-L<FONT face=Tahoma
        size=2>Subject: Sizing a new
        server
        Good morning everyone,
        Lucky me, I get to choose the size
        of the server this company should consider purchasing.  I have been
        poking around on the net for any guidelines - I can make guesses based
        upon my gut feel and how strapped the current unix server is, but I want
        to be able to back this up with hard numbers.  This is for a dw
        application.
        Can anyone point me to a website,
        book, or anything in particular that can help me justify sizing a
        machine?  It's so fun working for a company that doesn't have a
        sysadmin on staff...
        Thanks

        Lisa Koivu<FONT
        face=Arial>Oracle Data Bored
        Administrator<FONT face=Tahoma
        size=2>Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA<FONT
        face=Tahoma size=2>954-935-4117
        The information in the electronic mail
        message is Cendant confidential and may be legally privileged, it is
        intended solely for the addressee(s) access to this internet electronic
        mail message by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
        recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or
        omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be
        unlawful.
        The sender believes that this E-mail and any
        attachments were free of any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious
        code when sent. This message and its attachments could have been
        infected during transmission. By reading the message and opening any
        attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking
        protective and remedial action about viruses and other defects. Cendant
        Corporation or Affiliates are not liable for any loss or damage arising
        in any way from this message or its attachments.
  The information
  contained in this communication isconfidential, is intended only for the   use of the recipientnamed above, and may be legally privileged. If the   reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you arehereby   notified that any dissemination, distribution orcopying of this   communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this   communication in error, please re-send this communication to the sender   and delete the original message or any copy of it from your   computersystem. Received on Tue Jul 10 2001 - 11:26:31 CDT