RE: Sizing a new server

From: Robertson Lee - lerobe <lerobe_at_acxiom.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 00:03:21 -0700

By the
sounds of it, Kimberley was in a very similar situation to me when I was working for a semi-conductor manufacturing company afew years ago (the worst job I ever had).Basically money was no object and anything was feasible as long as the fab kept running 24x7.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa   [mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]Sent: 09 July 2001   19:36To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   RE: Sizing a new server
  Thanks Kimberly,
  I wish it was that way.  I have
  to justify my request with hard numbers or they are going to laugh at me when   I say, "Because that's what I want".  :)  They don't yet know how   I'd react to that, it would be a knee-jerk type of reaction involving creative   expletives...  not pretty.
  Good for you.  At least you have
  some real hardware and true HA.  I wish I did   Lisa

    -----Original Message----- <FONT
    face=Arial size=1>From:   <FONT face=Arial     size=1>Kimberly Smith [SMTP:kimberly.smith_at_gmd.fujitsu.com]     Sent:   <FONT face=Arial

    size=1>Monday, July 09, 2001 12:51 PM <FONT face=Arial
    size=1>To:     <FONT face=Arial
    size=1>Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT face=Arial
    size=1>Subject:        <FONT
    face=Arial size=1>RE: Sizing a new server
    Get the biggest, kick ass server
    they will let you buy.  If your site is anything like mine they just     keep asking for more and more databases.  So no matter what I have now     I know its not enough.  I am really happy with the nice new N-class HP     cluster I have sitting next door running Service Guard.  I am also     getting a A-class database cluster for some important but not fab critical     databases.  Now if I can only get ride of the 5 K-class database     servers.  Its kind of like when you go from a fast to a slow PC.      Drives me crazy.  Not that there are issues with performance from the     databases.  It would only be me, while playing (which of course     means working) on the server, that would notice.
      -----Original Message-----<FONT
      face=Tahoma size=2>From: Koivu, Lisa
      [<A
      href="mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com">mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]<FONT
      face=Tahoma size=2>Sent: Monday, July
      09, 2001 8:30 AMTo:<FONT
      face=Tahoma size=2> Multiple recipients of list
      ORACLE-LSubject:<FONT
      face=Tahoma size=2> Sizing a new server
      Good morning everyone,
      Lucky me, I get to choose the size of
      the server this company should consider purchasing.  I have been
      poking around on the net for any guidelines - I can make guesses based
      upon my gut feel and how strapped the current unix server is, but I want
      to be able to back this up with hard numbers.  This is for a dw
      application.
      Can anyone point me to a website,
      book, or anything in particular that can help me justify sizing a
      machine?  It's so fun working for a company that doesn't have a
      sysadmin on staff...
      Thanks

      Lisa Koivu<FONT
      face=Arial>Oracle Data Bored
      Administrator<FONT face=Tahoma
      size=2>Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA<FONT
      face=Tahoma size=2>954-935-4117
      The information in the electronic mail message
      is Cendant confidential and may be legally privileged, it is intended
      solely for the addressee(s) access to this internet electronic mail
      message by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
      recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or
      omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be
      unlawful.
      The sender believes that this E-mail and any
      attachments were free of any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious
      code when sent. This message and its attachments could have been infected
      during transmission. By reading the message and opening any attachments,
      the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking protective and
      remedial action about viruses and other defects. Cendant Corporation or
      Affiliates are not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way from
      this message or its attachments.

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system. Received on Tue Jul 10 2001 - 02:03:21 CDT