RE: Sizing a new server

From: Kimberly Smith <kimberly.smith_at_gmd.fujitsu.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 09:50:27 -0700

Get
the biggest, kick ass server they will let you buy.  If your site is anything like mine they just keep asking for more and more databases.  So no matter what I have now I know its not enough.  I am really happy with the nice new N-class HP cluster I have sitting next door running Service Guard.  I am also getting a A-class database cluster for some important but not fab critical databases.  Now if I can only get ride of the 5 K-class database servers.  Its kind of like when you go from a fast to a slow PC.  Drives me crazy.  Not that there are issues with performance from the databases.  It would only be me, while playing (which of course means working) on the server, that would notice.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa   [mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 8:30   AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   Sizing a new server
  Good morning everyone,
  Lucky me, I get to choose the size of the   server this company should consider purchasing.  I have been poking   around on the net for any guidelines - I can make guesses based upon my gut   feel and how strapped the current unix server is, but I want to be able to   back this up with hard numbers.  This is for a dw application.   Can anyone point me to a website, book, or   anything in particular that can help me justify sizing a machine?  It's   so fun working for a company that doesn't have a sysadmin on staff...

  Thanks
  Lisa Koivu <FONT

  face="Book Antiqua" size=2>Oracle Data Bored Administrator <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>954-935-4117

  The information in the electronic mail message is   Cendant confidential and may be legally privileged, it is intended solely for   the addressee(s) access to this internet electronic mail message by anyone   else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,   copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance   on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.   The sender believes that this E-mail and any   attachments were free of any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code   when sent. This message and its attachments could have been infected during   transmission. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the   recipient accepts full responsibility for taking protective and remedial   action about viruses and other defects. Cendant Corporation or Affiliates are   not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way from this message or its   attachments. Received on Mon Jul 09 2001 - 11:50:27 CDT