RE: Sizing a new server

From: Guy Hammond <guy.hammond_at_avt.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 08:53:06 -0700

Hi
Lisa,
<SPAN

class=897390415-09072001>
Pick
your favorite vendor and ask 'em if they've got anything like this:
<SPAN

class=897390415-09072001>
<A

href="http://www.compaq.com/solutions/enterprise/database-oracle-sizer-download.html">http://www.compaq.com/solutions/enterprise/database-oracle-sizer-download.html
<SPAN

class=897390415-09072001>
If
it's going to be a big purchase, most vendors will send someone over to take a look too. I remember the good 'ol days when you could call up a DEC sales rep and tell him you wanted to by so many VUPs (VAX Units of Performance). There were tables and formulae you could use to work up how many VUPs you needed to run your application, so you just ordered like that, and took whatever kit they sent you... kinda like walking into a diner and just saying "I'm very hungry, just give
me some food!".
<SPAN

class=897390415-09072001><FONT color=#0000ff face=Tahoma size=2>
SGI
used to have a policy that if they'd sized a system for you and it wouldn't deliver the transactions/sec that you were expecting, they'd upgrade your equipment for free until it did. Unfortunately, SGI now means "soon going insolvent" :0(
<SPAN

class=897390415-09072001>
<SPAN

class=897390415-09072001>Completely off topic, but I read once that the army of the former Soviet Empire used to size battle groups using tables and formulae too. They could plug in variables for the strength of the enemy, the terrain, the weather etc and their method would tell them how many of which sorts of battalions they'd need. Maybe it was like Lee's index calculation - they'd only get one-fifth of the tanks they needed! :0)
<SPAN

class=897390415-09072001>HTH,

<SPAN

class=897390415-09072001>g
<SPAN

class=897390415-09072001>

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa   [mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 4:30   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   Sizing a new server
  Good morning everyone,
  Lucky me, I get to choose the size of the   server this company should consider purchasing.  I have been poking   around on the net for any guidelines - I can make guesses based upon my gut   feel and how strapped the current unix server is, but I want to be able to   back this up with hard numbers.  This is for a dw application.   Can anyone point me to a website, book, or   anything in particular that can help me justify sizing a machine?  It's   so fun working for a company that doesn't have a sysadmin on staff...

  Thanks
  Lisa Koivu <FONT

  face="Book Antiqua" size=2>Oracle Data Bored Administrator <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>954-935-4117