Trigger on table with Long

From: Sukumar Kurup <sukuora_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 15:00:14 -0700

Hi,

I am trying to create trigger on a table having LONG column. The table structure is

table: acct

acct_id    number;
acct_group number ;
acct_memo  long;

The requirement is to store all the insert operations on this table and apply these changes to another database. As the table has millions of rows, it will not be feasible to do a daily export/import.

However, the trigger does not work ( the
:new.acct_memo is not supported - as acct_memo is a
long field). I next tried the following :

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER ACCT_trigger AFTER INSERT ON ACCT
FOR EACH ROW
DECLARE
memo_temp LONG;
CURSOR selectCursor IS
SELECT acct_memo FROM acct WHERE acct_id =
:new.acct_id;

BEGIN
OPEN selectCursor;
FETCH selectCursor INTO memo_temp;
CLOSE selectCursor;

INSERT INTO acct_changes VALUES

   (:new.acct_id, :new.acct_group, memo_temp ) ; END;
/

This results in ORA-04091 (Mutating trigger error).

Please advise me how to overcome these errors. Is there any work around for this problem ? What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

Sukumar Kurup

Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/