Re: * Oracle DBA Needed in Phoenix..

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 17:14:08 -0700

Gregory Conron wrote:

> On July 6, 2001 05:38 pm, dgoulet_at_vicr.com wrote:
>
> > > OH, I've stayed out of this one, but I think a word or two should
> > be acceptable.
> >
> > $75K with minimal relocation may be cheap upfront, but if your
> > current salary is $0.00 then this is better, even if the relocation
> > $$$ are not what one would expect. Besides, I started here at $36K
> > some 9 years ago & pretty darn soon their going to crack the $100K
> > barrier. So look to the future, even if one must live in the
> > present (when one is at the bottom of the barrel, all roads point
> > up).
>
> Or come to Nova Scotia - DBA w/ ~5 years experience can expect
> around 65K. Supposedly due to lower cost of living, however, I
> believe it simply has more to do with less demand (there are few
> employers here large enough to warrant a full-time experienced dba -
> most shops are small development shops that have one disk to hold
> Oracle and it's usually running NT). Oh well, got saltwater in my
> veins, so I'll stick around here for a while :)
>
> Cheers,
> GC

Just as a matter of information, there are many people on this list from South or South East Asia, as well as Eastern and Central Europe, and possibly from Southern America and Africa as well, who, I am certain, are going to shed a tear over the miserable salaries of some American and Canadian DBAs, who are not technically better than they are even if they can afford the luxury of not pirating papers and books. And concerning the cost of living, well, I am not sure. Have a look at this week's issue of 'The Economist', p 108, a table gives New York at 100, Tokyo at 140, Hong Kong around 118, Libreville (any DBA from Libreville here?) around 105, Oslo (104), London and Zurich above New York, and Singapore, Beijing, Paris, and Seoul in this order close behind. If you consider than even in opulent Singapore DBA salaries are not, even in the local currency (1.82 to the USD), at the levels that you mention (which doesn't prevent them from losing development jobs to India, where costs - understand salaries - are three times lower), that in Hungary, which gave John von Neumann to computing, the average salary (don't know about DBAs) is around $200 a month (granted, cost of living in Budapest is half what it is in New-York), I hardly dare mention countries like VietNam, where a GP makes $100 per month, about twice the average.

  I find it legitimate to exchange some info on salaries, and even some whining. But I find a bit of indecency in seeing such a somewhat off-topic thread roll on for too long. Sorry, folks, I thought I had to fume for people who would possibly not dare to do it.

My 2 rupiahs,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Corporation
Voice: +44 (0) 7050-696-269