RE: Politics vs. What's Right - long, sorry

From: Kimberly Smith <kimberly.smith_at_gmd.fujitsu.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 13:23:32 -0700

I have
been teased quite a bit lately about how I never beat around the bush and that they always know where I stand.  However, even with all the teasing this is something that they appreciate.  I rarely don't get what I ask for here.  I make sure that I can backup what I am saying and I don't ask for stuff I don't really need.  I must say, I came into quite a mess and know the systems are quite a bit better.  I can actually recover databases now (thankfully, I don't normally have to).  There are times where I have to fight for certain things but once you set the precedence of only going to bat for things that matter they tend to listen to you a bit more.  There is one guy here who is stubbenor then a mule and I have yet to lose an argument to him.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
I tend
to put things in writing as verbal does tend to get ignored.  I will e-mail other people's managers directly when there are issues but I do tend to cc my manager.  As long as you keep them in the loop.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
As
long as you don't get personal and you are clear in why you are making certain demands you should be successful.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa   [mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 2:00   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   Politics vs. What's Right - long, sorry   Happy Friday everyone....
  I've gone from a fast paced environment   (small company), to an extremely fast paced environment (dot-com) , to my   current employer (large company) that is so bogged down in politics that   nothing is done 'right'.   Even the tapes aren't switched for the   backups on a regular basis - it's so bad that the operators will pop a tape   out and push it right back in, and there's no protection on the backup   files.  In other words, backups may or may not work.    I am not the one responsible for the db I   am referring to above.  The person who is claims that there's nothing   much he can do other than complain to his boss, who complains to someone else   (in another state) and suppossedly "comes down" on the operators.  This   has been going on for months and months.  So as we were talking, he says   to me, What would you do?  Play the game, try to slowly change the   system, or buck it?  Well, since he's been taking the route of slow   change, I said BUCK IT.  I gave him three alternatives and even suggested   either 1. quantifying the loss of one day's worth of data, or even being down   for 10 minutes, or 2. flying out there and meeting the operators/their manager   face to face and explain what the impact is, or do both.  He said #2   would be viewed as going around his boss (well, don't do it without talking to   your boss first, you clown).  I also said, What's your #1 priority?    He said, Keep my job.  I said, yes, but a dba's job is to always be able   to recover, dude, you know that!
  There's a lot more than this situation   above that is stuck in a political game.  Most notably, funds for the   project I am suppossed to work on - coincidentally, we have no hardware.

  I may be blowing off steam here, and if   that's what you think I am sorry.  However I'd be interested in what   angle you would take.  I am NOT a politician - I am very candid and   frank.  I am no buttkisser.  This is gonna be difficult and I   honestly don't know if I want to stick around for this.  How many of you   have been in this type of situation?
  Thanks
  Lisa Koivu <FONT
  face="Book Antiqua" size=2>Oracle DataBORED Administrator <FONT   face=Tahoma size=2>954-935-4117
  The information in the electronic mail message is   Cendant confidential and may be legally privileged, it is intended solely for   the addressee(s) access to this internet electronic mail message by anyone   else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,   copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance   on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.   The sender believes that this E-mail and any   attachments were free of any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code   when sent. This message and its attachments could have been infected during   transmission. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the   recipient accepts full responsibility for taking protective and remedial   action about viruses and other defects. Cendant Corporation or Affiliates are   not liable for any loss or damage arising in any way from this message or its   attachments. Received on Fri Jul 06 2001 - 15:23:32 CDT