RE: Database Links standards

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:58:20 -0700

<SPAN

class=633420220-06072001>Jeff,
<SPAN

class=633420220-06072001>
Looks
ok, except that I don't think you need step b) - the PUBLIC SYNONYM for the remote table.
always create a private synonym within my DBA account (which happens to own the tables in the local database) and then create the VIEW and a PUBLIC SYNONYM on the view to hide everything from the user.  The view will say :
<SPAN

class=633420220-06072001>
select
* from table_at_dblink.
<SPAN

class=633420220-06072001>
The
developers then get access to the view only - never to the base db-linked tables.
<SPAN

class=633420220-06072001>
Your
approaches works for me, though.  Tell the developers to use it as delivered and to like it!  :)
<SPAN

class=633420220-06072001>
hope
this helps.
Tom Mercadante <FONT face=Arial
size=2>Oracle Certified Professional

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Thomas Jeff   [mailto:ThomasJe_at_tce.com]Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 4:51   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   Database Links standards
  We came up with the below standards with respect to    database links (heavily used in our
  environment).   The result has been a billion complaints by   our developers, stating that the standards are unnecessarily   complex.  I'm curious as to what others might   think, if they *are* indeed too complex. Also what   kind of naming/adminstrative standards that other shops employ.

  1. To access remote data across a DB LINK, the    standard implementation consists of four pieces:
    1. A private database link owned by the schema owner of the table    objects being accessed.  The CONNECT TO and IDENTIFIED BY clauses are    required      - Naming Standard:  {remote schema}_{database name}
    2. A standard PUBLIC SYNONYM created for the remote table being    accessed across the link.    - Naming Standard: {remote schema}_{remote table}.  The purpose of this <FONT size=2>     synonym is both to allow portability and also to provide documentation      of the remote connection.
    3. A VIEW created as a SELECT * from the PUBLIC SYNONYM above (1.b).       - Naming Standard: {remote table}_VW
    4. A PUBLIC SYNONYM on the VIEW above(1.c.) <FONT size=2>   - Naming Standard: {remote table} Thanks, Jeff T <FONT size=2>thomasje_at_tce.com