Database Links standards

From: Thomas Jeff <ThomasJe_at_tce.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:35:50 -0700

We came up with the below standards with respect to  database links (heavily used in our environment).   The result has been a billion complaints by our developers, stating that the standards are unnecessarily complex.  I'm curious as to what others might think, if they *are* indeed too complex. Also what kind of naming/adminstrative standards that other shops employ.

  1. To access remote data across a DB LINK, the
       standard implementation consists of four pieces:
    1. A private database link owned by the schema owner of the table
         objects being accessed.  The CONNECT TO and IDENTIFIED BY clauses are
         required
         - Naming Standard:  {remote schema}_{database name}
    2. A standard PUBLIC SYNONYM created for the remote table being
         accessed across the link.
         - Naming Standard: {remote schema}_{remote table}.  The purpose of this
           synonym is both to allow portability and also to provide documentation      of the remote connection.
    3. A VIEW created as a SELECT * from the PUBLIC SYNONYM above (1.b).
         - Naming Standard: {remote table}_VW
    4. A PUBLIC SYNONYM on the VIEW above(1.c.)
         - Naming Standard: {remote table}

Thanks,
Jeff T
thomasje_at_tce.com Received on Fri Jul 06 2001 - 14:35:50 CDT