RE: OT Bears

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 10:43:29 -0700

Bears become a problem when they get too familiar with man and when man intrudes into the bear realm and is not familiar with bear behavior. When bears get too familiar with man the rangers sometimes have to destroy them. Sometimes the Yosemite rangers helicopter problem bears to the Yolla Bolly Wilderness, one of my favorite hiking areas in CA. The rangers told me it was the "least backpacked wilderness area per square mile in the continental US" so don't tell anybody about it. I had a few close encounters of the bear kind there, including a bear eating a dead horse in a camp ground... I shoo'd him away by throwing rocks at him. Black bears are generally very predictable but Griz are another story... no telling what's on their mind and they can turn in an instant. The rumor is that Griz have mamed or killed more than authorities want to admit. Griz up here are extending their range out of the Yellowstone so you need to be careful. I have remote properties and a private cabin north of the Yellowstone so I always take protection... forget the pepper spray and pack a .44 Magnum! A co-worker told me that Griz won't bother you if you're in a group of 5 or more but I don't really want to test the theory.

Steve Orr, respectful friend of the bear. Bozeman, MT

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com