Re: Batch updates

From: Yosi Greenfield <yosi_at_comhill.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 10:06:30 -0700

We briefly thought of using Oracle Lite. It uses a subset of replication and advanced queueing to do its magic. It looked like it might have worked.

But, as we wanted to sell a product, Oracle Lite licensing added like 300 bucks a seat to the product, so the boss decided not to go with it.

Of course, 6 months later, that department is now dead, there is NO product, including no product that would have cost an extra 300 bucks.

Yosi

Guy Hammond wrote:

> Does Oracle Lite do this? I remember attending a seminar where Oracle
> were talking about running Lite on PDAs to support sales force
> automation. They could take orders and check inventory on their PDAs,
> query contacts and itineraries, etc, then it would replicate to real
> Oracle in one batch when they connected to dial-up every day. There was
> a mechanism for reconciling conflicts, for example if you had 100 units
> in stock, salesman A sold 50 and B sold 60, maybe customer A would get
> 45 units and B 55 until new inventory was ready. That sort of thing.

Thanks,

Yosi

Yosi Greenfield
Oracle Certified DBA