Re: sqlplus command

From: Yosi Greenfield <yosi_at_comhill.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 09:01:34 -0700

Milind,

You can't do sqlplus from procedures. There are some ways to get output from pl/sql. One is to use the dbms_output package, which does send output to a sqlplus session if you have set serveroutput on.

Another idea that's used might be to put your output lines into a staging table, each record containing a field with the sequence number of that line in the output. Then when the procedure finishes populating that table, simply select the data from the staging table. (Oracle 8i global temporary tables are good for that too.)

Good luck,

milind ambegaoker wrote:

> Dear mailing list,
> is it possible to execute SQLPLUS commands from
> subprograms like procedures and functions ?
> If possible pl. send me how to do it ?
> If not please tell me why and alternate way
> as i want to write sub programs(procedures) that would
> generate reports on the SQL prompt by using the
> SQLPLUS formatting commands.

> Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?milind=20ambegaoker?=
> INET: milindora_at_yahoo.co.in

Thanks,