RE: Stand alone Procedure v/s Package Procedure

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 06:03:38 -0700

Harvinder,

In my humble way of thinking, I would develop a single Oracle package to perform "a transaction", or to contain a group or procedures that might be used by other packages.

For example, lets say you are developing a college registration application. You might create one package that contains all procedures to create a student demographic record, including name, address, emergency contact info etc. Another package might contain all procedures needed to maintain the college catalog, with another package to contain procedures to register a student for a course.

It's all a matter of application design and organization. This is not to say that singular stored procedures are a bad thing. A robust application will have a mix of packages, procedures and functions.

The trade-off of packages vs procedures is SGA size. Remember, these things sit in memory for awhile after they have been used. The larger the package, the more memory issues you need to manage (like pinning package in memory at db startup to make sure they are available, and to make sure they have room to fit).

anybody else have comments for Harvinder?

hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Harvinder Singh