Re: How to precreate tables for migration?

From: Binley Lim <Binley.Lim_at_ird.govt.nz>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 15:28:53 -0700

Since you mentioned partitioned tables, watch out for:

Bug 973502 THE PARTITIONED INDEX IS NOT IMPORTED AS A PARTITIONED INDEX

If you are happy with the storage parameters, you can skip steps 3 and 4, because step 5 creates everything for you - except the above !!

>>> Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com 07/06/01 06:35AM >>>
So,

We're taking the leap from 8.0.6 to 8.1.7. For various reasons, we will be using the export/import method of migration.

Since I'll have the DB all to myself for the weekend, I want to also partition most of our larger tables (1M-7M rows each -- it's not a huge DB) in the migration. My plan to precreate the tables was to:

  1. Export DB.
  2. Create new 8.1.7 DB.
  3. Create tablespaces.
  4. Create partitioned tables.
  5. Import DB.

        (I've left out many migration steps not pertinent to this question)

Obviously, step 4 can't go before step 5, as step 5 creates the schemas.

So, my questions: Has anyone precreated tables before a full import on a clean DB? Did you just manually precreate the schemas? How does the import deal with this (e.g. the DESTROY arg for imp)? Or would it be OK to skip step 4 and delete/rebuild the tables to be partitioned after the import had rebuilt them? I would prefer not to do the latter, seeing as this will be the first time in three years that the TSs will be nice and contiguous. :)

Also, for brevity, we won't be going LMT for most of our TSs. Need too much time to plan for that... :(

TIA!

Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com             Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA
Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

Author: Binley Lim
  INET: Binley.Lim_at_ird.govt.nz