Re: OT: Ari and his company have been noted in InfoWorld...

From: <DBarbour_at_austin.isd.tenet.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 10:15:25 -0700

If only it were this simple:

     "......quantify the amount of time and money their companies would save if their DBAs.....could remotely...

     remove from the database a user who is running a command that is holding up the system."

David A. Barbour
Oracle DBA, OCP
AISD
512-414-1002

                    "Grabowy,

                    Chris"               To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <cgrabowy_at_fcg        cc:

                    .com>                Subject:     OT: Ari and his company have
been noted in InfoWorld...
                    Sent by:

                    root_at_fatcity.

                    com

                    07/05/2001

                    01:01 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Ari and his company have been noted in InfoWorld...

EPHRAIM SCHWARTZ "Wireless World" InfoWorld.com

Thursday, July 5, 2001

REDUCING THE COST OF DBAS Posted at June 29, 2001 01:01 PM PST Pacific

I'LL LEAVE IT to my readers to quantify the amount of time and money their companies would save if their DBAs (database administrators) could remotely, and wirelessly, make changes to their databases. Imagine the efficiencies in not having to call a DBA back to the office to add table space to a database, look at what indexes exist and modify table structures, give a new password to a user who has forgotten it, or remove from the database a user who is running a command that is holding up the system.

You can accomplish these and many other corrective measures using the application PocketDBA, available from the company of the same name.

I spoke with Ari Kaplan, CEO and co-founder of PocketDBA, in Chicago. His background includes 10 years at Oracle, where he oversaw the implementation of some of the largest Oracle database deployments in the world, such as Hallmark's Web site and Merck's entire order-entry and inventory system. Kaplan believes his company's wireless DBA package is more robust than Oracle's own desktop Enterprise Manager.

PocketDBA, which can currently be implemented on a Palm OS device and will soon be available for Pocket PCs, will appear for Microsoft's SQL Server and IBM's DB2 next year.

Go to http://www.pocketdba.com for a demo.

Fed up with ActiveSync

Remember two weeks ago when I said that I did not want work-arounds to my problem in which ActiveSync did not recognize the USB ports on three separate computers (see Wireless World, June 18)? Here's a typical example of the e-mails I've received that prove my point.

"I had a similar but intermittent problem with my iPaq
using ActiveSync on a Toshiba laptop," one reader wrote. "I installed the Compaq ROM BIOS update last month and haven't seen the problem since.

"The update is Version 1.77, and you can download it from
http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handhelds/us/download/9820.html. Also ActiveSync 3.1 (Build 9587) has some fixes for USB support. Build 9587 is available at
http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/downloads/activesync.asp."

So what about the folks who can't complain in a public forum? Does anyone bother to tell them what build to use or where to download the correct BIOS version? Now I really want my money back. How about you?

More on accidents and wireless alerts

Despite the claim from automakers that batteries are rarely disabled in a collision, which they admit would disable the emergency wireless alert, I received numerous e-mails to the contrary.

Read their views online. A few excerpts will suffice.

"The sign pole went through the grill and neatly sliced
off a lower corner of my 5-day-old battery."

"Driving a '95 Porsche 911 Coupe, ... [the other] car
hit me at a 90-degree angle. The impact cracked the battery case and cut off all electrical power to the car instantly."

"A pickup made a left turn right in front of us. ...The
battery [in our Saturn] was crushed."

"In a low-speed collision, one of the battery cables
fell into the path of the radiator fan. ... It was sheared in half."

"Driving a Volvo station wagon, ... [the] impact
crushed the front of the car. I remember being surprised how flat the battery was."

Nuff said.

Write to me at ephraim_schwartz_at_infoworld.com.

Ephraim Schwartz is an editor at large in InfoWorld's news department. Get this column free via e-mail each week. Sign up at http://www.iwsubscribe.com/newsletters.

MORE WIRELESS WORLD
For a complete archive of his InfoWorld columns visit http://www2.infoworld.com/cgi/component/columnarchive.wbs?column=wireless

INFOWORLD OPINIONS
Weekly commentary from the most trusted voices in IT at: http://www.infoworld.com/community/t_opinions.html

QUOTE OF THE DAY:
"UCITA (the Uniform Computer Information Transaction Act)
has been stopped in its tracks, and there are signs that the damage it has already caused might yet be undone"

--Ed Foster, crusading Gripe Line columnist, sees cause for hope.

http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/07/02/010702opfoster.xml?0705

thwi

SUBSCRIBE
To subscribe to any of InfoWorld's e-mail newsletters, tell your friends and colleagues to go to: http://www.iwsubscribe.com/newsletters/

UNSUBSCRIBE
If you want to unsubscribe from InfoWorld's Newsletters, go to http://iwsubscribe.com/newsletters/unsubscribe/

CHANGE E-MAIL
If you want to change the e-mail address where you are receiving InfoWorld newsletters, go to http://iwsubscribe.com/newsletters/adchange/

Play "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda" with Bob! As the last millennium wound down, Ethernet inventor and InfoWorld columnist Bob Metcalfe shared his weekly take on the Web, the tech industries, and our tech-driven society. Now you can draw a bead on Bob using your own 20/20 hindsight, with the weekly Bob Metcalfe: Back Talk email newsletter and reader poll. Read what he said back then, then tell us: Was Bob a big blowhard or another Nostradamus? It's food for thought and tons of fun, too. Subscribe now at http://www.iwsubscribe.com/newsletters/

Advertising Sponsor - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Track the Apps That Matter to You
Customer, user, or developer - application development means different things to different people. With InfoWorld's free weekly Application Development Report newsletter, you can track the apps that matter to YOU. The Application Development Report serves up a digest of the week's key appdev stories, so a quick scan tells you what you need to know. And one click takes you to the full story, for everything you want to know. Subscribe now at http://www.iwsubscribe.com/newsletters/

Copyright 2001 InfoWorld Media Group Inc.

This message was sent to: cgrabowy_at_fcg.com

Author: Grabowy, Chris
  INET: cgrabowy_at_fcg.com

  INET: DBarbour_at_austin.isd.tenet.edu