RE: RUPD$_ (long)

From: April Wells <awells_at_csedge.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 08:06:25 -0700

Amarillo is still beautiful.. although the natives don't seem to share my enthusiasm.

Yeah, I found this... I was just hoping for... more. I can find considerable stuff on mlog$_<> tables, but I'm still digging on this one. I love the 'documenation' on some of these 'features'.

 Thanks
 April Wells
 Corporate Systems
 Amarillo Texas

 From: Oracle, Ken Robinson 17-Apr-01 17:33  Subject: Re : RUPD$ tables
 There is very little available on this. It is part of the internals of replication and is only used for certain "rare" types of heterogenous  replication.

 Regards,
 Ken Robinson
 Oracle Server EE Analyst

 From: Robert Puskas 18-Apr-01 13:50
 Subject: Re : RUPD$ tables

 Hi,
 is it possible to get a more detailed information on this?  Are these tables created per default during snapshot log creation  or does the creation of these tables depend on some settings, which can be disbled or ...
 What happens if they are deleted for example, does it then influnece the behaviour/functionality of fast refreshes?  The current environment is a ORACLE 8.1.7 database server used as master of updatable and read only snapshots for several  ORACLE Lite clients, both running Windows NT.  Kind regards

 Robert Puskas

 From: Oracle, Ken Robinson 20-Apr-01 22:45  Subject: Re : Re : RUPD$ tables
 There is very little data on this available and I'm not getting much information back from our Replication group either. The only  information I got back so far from another analyst is "I know it gets created with the snapshot log beginning with Oracle8i whether it is  for updatable snapshots or read only snapshots. It's some kind of 'temporary' table but I don't really know what it's used for during  refresh?"
 I'm trying to get more details.

 Regards,
 Ken Robinson
 Oracle Server EE Analyst

 From: NextGen BP 02-May-01 14:26
 If I create the following snapshot specifying "with primary key" then a RUPD$_newtable table appears at the remote site over the  database link where the master table resides.  If I drop the materialised view and recreate the snapshot then the same happens only without a RUPD$_newtable table being created at  the remote site over the database link where the master table resides.  This would appear to be related to creating updateable snapshots.  This table presumably records changes made at the snapshot site.

 create snapshot newtable
 pctfree 0
 pctused 99
 tablespace users
 storage (initial 1M
 next 1M
 pctincrease 0)
 using index tablespace users
 storage (initial 128K
 next 128K
 pctincrease 0)
 refresh fast
 start with sysdate
 next sysdate + 1/1440
 with primary key
 using local rollback segment RBK1_1
 FOR UPDATE
 as
 SELECT column list....,
 FROM master_user.new_table_at_database_link;

 From: NextGen BP 02-May-01 14:38
 re : my above note from NEXTGEN is wrong.  I refered to "with primary key" instead of "FOR UPDATE"  FOR UPDATE registers the snapshot as updateable of the master for posting changes back to the Master site.  sorry about the typo
 Des Fox BP NEXTGEN London

 From: Oracle, Ken Robinson 04-May-01 17:50  Subject: Re : Re : RUPD$ tables

 Interesting. This topic seems to come up every now and then and I'll refer others back to your findings.

 Regards,
 Ken Robinson
 Oracle Server EE Analyst

-----------------------------end-------------------------------

April Wells wrote:

> Good Thursday morning!
>
> I have a nagging question that I can find only sketchy documentation on.
> have been working with Materialized Views and their associated logs and
have
> been trying to figure out what the RUPD$_<tablename> structures are for.
> have watched those tables during incremental processing, during refresh of
> the MV and have done searches with VERY limited information back from
> anywhere in Oracle... metalink, technet... Those tables never have any
rows,
> and they are very similar to the MLOG$_<tname> tables. Does anyone know
> what the purpose of these tables are... what they do... anything?
>
> Thanks
> April Wells
> Corporate Systems
> Amarillo Texas

Do You Yahoo!?
Author: Scott Shafer
  INET: sknd100_at_yahoo.com

The information contained in this e-mail is strictly confidential and for the intended
use of the addressee only; it may also be legally privileged and/or price sensitive.
Notice is hereby given that any disclosure, use or copying of the information by
anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be illegal.  If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail.

Corporate Systems, Inc. has taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that any
attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses.  We accept no liability for any
damage sustained as a result of software viruses and advise you carry out your own
virus checks before opening any attachment.

Author: April Wells
  INET: awells_at_csedge.com