Re: RE: CURSOR_SHARING = FORCE ques. - OCP Certification

From: Nikunj Gupta <good_dba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 23:41:55 -0700

9i has come up with cursor_sharing =
similar,
which was missing till 8i. We had FORCE and EXACT.  FORCE was not what most of the DBA's were willing to use. and hence used EXACT.  But similar will do most of the job (Assumed) that we were looking with CURSOR_SHARING.

<BLOCKQUOTE

  Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 08:50
  AM
  Subject: OT: RE: CURSOR_SHARING = FORCE   ques. - OCP Certification

  Why
  is it that people seem to have the need to apologize after admitting that they   are OCP certified (or are working toward the goal etc).  I know that   there are a lot of differing opinions regarding OCP and what it may or may not   tell you about a particular individual, but, if your company is willing to pay   for you to pursue this then it is always (IMO) a good idea!  After all,   it hopefully will provide you with some incentive to pick up some manuals and   perhaps mess with a test database and learn some new stuff.  Just how   could this be a bad thing?????
<SPAN

  class=062393514-03072001>
<SPAN

  class=062393514-03072001>
<SPAN

  class=062393514-03072001>Ken.
<SPAN

  class=062393514-03072001>
<SPAN

  class=062393514-03072001>
<SPAN

  class=062393514-03072001>PS.  I would rather be caught with an OCP   certification than be caught driving a tan minivan any day!

    <FONT face=Tahoma
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From:     Ivan_Rivera_at_doh.state.fl.us
    [mailto:Ivan_Rivera_at_doh.state.fl.us]Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001     6:33 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list     ORACLE-LSubject: CURSOR_SHARING = FORCE ques.

    Gurus....
    Well the boss is now getting on my back for me to upgrade my     OCP to 8i.  I know, I know, I wasn't going to, please don't flame me,     but work is insisting that I do.  So now I'm studying the upgrade book     and it's sparked up a couple of questions regarding cursor_sharing =     force.

  1. I've heard a bunch of negative things (like bugs) regarding using this feature, was this just with 8.1.6 or is it still buggy?
  2. Anyone out there using it?  Does it give that much better performance gains?  It seems to me like it's not worth implementing. 3)Can the guys playing with 9i out there verify if this is buggy in 9i? Thanks to all. Ivan Rivera LEGAL NOTICEUnless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this E-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents of this E-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.