Re: The Median, The Joe Celko Solution , and Wait Events

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <oraperfman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 13:39:11 -0700

Hi Ian,

You are right, in this case the contention may be "self-inflicted" by the process that you are running. Hopefully you are using "both prongs" in the 2-prong method that we suggest. The O/S prong is very useful especially in cases such as these. The state of "waited short time" indicates that the wait events are for a duration of < 1/100th of a second (centisecond). Such wait events are usually not a "source for concern" unless they occur many times within a short period of time (say the duration of running the SQL statement).

Although "many" cannot be defined and generalized, a frequency of many thousands of times within the short period should get your attention. You also should use the 10046 wait event with level 12 for the offending session, to trap the wait-events at the SQL statement-level. Details on how to do that has been described in "chapter 2", in the section "Trapping Wait Events to a trace file". You can then look at the ora_SPID.trc file and search for the keyword "WAIT" and go from there.

To determine what P1 is in this case and in the future, you can query P1_TEXT for a description of P1. The same holds good for P2 and P3. Below is a copy/paste of the "direct path read" wait event from the Reference Guide:

direct path read

During Direct Path operations the data is asynchronously read from the database files. At some stage the session needs to make sure that all outstanding asynchronous I/O have been completed to disk. This can also happen if during a direct read no more slots are available to store outstanding load requests (a load request could consist of multiple I/Os).

Wait Time: 10 seconds. The session will be posted by the completing asynchronous I/O. It will never wait the entire 10 seconds. The session waits in a tight loop until all outstanding I/Os have completed.

Parameters:

descriptor address
 This is a pointer to the I/O context of outstanding direct I/Os on which the session is currently waiting.

first dba
 The dba of the oldest I/O in the context referenced by the descriptor address.

block cnt
 Number of valid buffers in the context referenced by the descriptor address.

One of the related init.ora parameters that affects this is DB_FILE_DIRECT_IO_COUNT. Keep us posted on how things progress.

Cheers,

Gaja

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
Director, Storage Management Products,