RE: Griping about auditing (not the Oracle Kind)

From: Miller, Jay <JayMiller_at_tdwaterhouse.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:48:13 -0700

As you might have gathered from my previous e-mail I'm not a big fan of functional division as opposed to project division. Since I was moved to a different building from the developers much of the time I don't spend dealing with the new paperwork and bureaucracy I spend on the phone. I can see the temptation that people have to just say, 'don't think about working *with* the developers, just put their stuff into production and send it back if it doesn't compile' (this is my current job description), but I'm still holding onto doing some review, helping them with SQL, recommending hints, etc. Don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep doing it (though the appreciation and thanks from the developers helps a lot).

My impression (this is confirmed by a friend who was a product manager at his company and is now leading a consulting team) is that this is the latest management fad. According to my friend this goes in waves, with everyone moving to functional division, then project division, then back again. He's been through a few shifts back and forth in his time. This is my first one.

Jay Miller

Author: Gregory Conron
  INET: gconron_at_hfx.andara.com

Author: Miller, Jay