Discovering correct service names on a SUN Solaris, Oracle 8.1.6

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 20:48:36 -0700

Paul,

What is present snmp_ro.ora and snmp_rw.ora files on the Sun boxes (most likely in the same location as your tnsnames.ora on the Sun boxes).

Do these files refer to "prod", "prod.world" or "prod.srvf01"? If they refer to the incorrect domain - try a clean start of the agent on the Sun box.

That is (and your directory paths may vary - I wrote these notes for NT):

stop the agent

        from \oracle\admin\tns_admin (or where ever they are) delete the snmp_rw.ora
delete the snmp_ro.ora

        from \oracle\product\815\network\agent delete services.ora

start up the agent (and recheck the contents of the snmp_ro.ora and snmp_rw.ora)

also look at

        \oracle\product\815\network\log\nmi.log

Also, using SQLPlus on your OEM box, which of the following connect strings work:

        "prod", "prod.world" or "prod.srvf01"

What version of Oracle is running on the Sun boxes?

Also check out Metalink Note:71910.1 Subject: Common console discovery errors

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bruce Reardon

Author: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY)
  INET: Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au