RE: Oracle Security Bugs./ Patches Requires Passwords

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:25:45 -0700

I went to Metalink to obtain the patch. Path finding for Oracle can be a pain. Some patches you find by filling in the plaform and product information on the first patch download screen, some you find on oracle-ftp, and some you find by clicking on the "Click here for Patches released after February 19, 2001 and for all Application Patches." link. For this bug the last choice was correct. If you have multiple databases at sundry release levels you need to find the patch for each of those levels. Each patch is protected by a different password. I wanted the patches for 8.1.7.1 and 8.1.6.3 so I needed two passwords. I phoned Oracle support and had them email the passwords which expire in seven days.

When did this "password" requirement start? Has a new Customer Aggravation Department been formed at Redwood Shores? Oracle knows I'm entitled to the patch because I'm already on Metalink. The analyst I talked to was quite sympathetic. He had just dealt with a customer that needed 11 patches and 11 different passwords.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu

Author: Ron Rogers