Re: Pocket Guide

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:08:57 -0700

I'd like to follow up on this, because I wrote the SQL*Plus Pocket Ref, and I'm planning to revise it soon. One of the things I want to do when I revise the book is to add material about the more commonly used SQL statements, because, frankly, I'm convinced that's what readers really want.

One issue I quickly encounter whenever I think of a SQL Pocket Ref is that the syntax for the many, often complex, SQL statements just won't fit into a less than 100 page pocket ref format. My current thinking is to revise my pocket reference to de-emphasize SQL*Plus commands in favor of adding coverage of developer-oriented SQL statements such as the following:

           INSERT
           UPDATE
           DELETE
           SELECT
           COMMIT
           ROLLBACK
           SET TRANSACTION
           SAVEPOINT

I'm really interested in some feedback on this. Is this a logical subset of SQL statements to include in such a book? Is my documentation of SQL*Plus commands (describe, copy, the various set commands) all that useful? What other commands should I add to the list? Regardless of the page-count issue, do you still want all the SQL commands in one small book?

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
mailto:jonathan_at_gennick.com * 906.387.1698 http://Gennick.com * http://MichiganWaterfalls.com * http://MetalDrums.org

jb> Has anyone run across a "Pocket Guide" for SQL.  I don't need one for
jb> SQL*Plus or PL/SQL.  Just sometimes I cannot remember complete syntax
jb> for some commands and a quick guide really helps.  Sucks getting old.

jb> I don't see one from O'Reilly which normally handles a series like this.

Author: Jonathan Gennick
  INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jun 27 2001 - 18:08:57 CDT