Re: db won't mount

From: <Riyaj_Shamsudeen_at_i2.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:47:49 -0700

Hi Henry
        You may be hitting a bug 1399885 due to timer overflow. Can you check the uptime ? Also check the clock ticks per second. Due to a timer overflow problem, when the machine is up and running for more than 248 days (ticks=1000) or 24 days (ticks=100) then the database will hang and startup and shutdown will hang.

    On Solaris, the command "/usr/bin/getconf CLK_TCK" will return the

    number of clock ticks per second. If the number is 1000, the system is
    impacted 24 days after reboot. If the number is 100, the system is
    impacted 248 days after reboot.

Thanks
Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
Certified Oracle DBA
i2 technologies   www.i2.com

Henry Poras <Henry.Poras_at_ctp.com>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
06/27/01 04:54 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        db won't mount

I've got a cute one here. I saw something like this years ago, but I can't remember what I did. The database is running Oracle 8.0.6 on Solaris 2.6. I was just brought into this problem, so I don't know too much about the database. It is shutdown nightly for a cold backup, and by the looks of things it never started up again after yesterday's shutdown. After that, numerous attempts at shutdown/startup appear in the alert.log and rdbms/audit. These are the facts as I know them:

I did a shutdown abort succsessfully.
Startup nomount worked.
Alter database mount sits forever. (right now it has been sitting for 3 hours. Looking at the alert logs, it sat for about 12 hours between last nights attempt to startup and the first shutdown run today). The whole database appears to be 600M (unless some files are hidden in funny spots). No errors in the alert.log, no trace files, no core dumps, nothing in cdump, udump, bdump, $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log
CPU time for the background processes is 0. It is 1 second for the svrmgrl process. No change over the last 3 hours. fuser shows the control files opened by ckpt and svrmgrl process, but the data and log files are not opened.
The alert log shows the shutdown prior to the problem being a shutdown immediate so no recovery or rollbacks should have been necessary.

Has anyone seen this before? Thanks.

Henry

Author: Henry Poras
  INET: Henry.Poras_at_ctp.com

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists