An approach to isolating external users--opinions wanted

From: Lisa Clary <lisa_at_cog.ufl.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:40:48 -0700

We have approximately 40 or so people external to this office and to our operation that require access to confidential information (with that population is increasing). The connections to Oracle are made through DSN/ODBC using various applications (access, excel,etc) and data are restricted through views. Currently, these users log into the development database (not production) and access the data from production through a dblink. The only data they can see is what is presented to them through the views.

I would like to keep these users separate from our own internal users and wondered whether creating another (very small) instance just for them is a good idea. The new instance would contain no data, but would contain the predefined views and database links to the production database. That way if the development server needs to go down, these people still have access to production data via the link & their views.

I don't know if anyone has the same situation, and what the approach was to accomplish the task (providing secure data) without compromising the security of a production database. Does this sound feasible?

Thanks,

lc

Author: Lisa Clary
  INET: lisa_at_cog.ufl.edu

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jun 27 2001 - 15:40:48 CDT