Re: HOW TO SUBSTR & INSTR THIS LIST

From: JOE TESTA <JTESTA_at_longaberger.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:10:21 -0700

well if it was just first last, it would be simple

select substr(name_column,1,(instr(name_column,' ')-1) first

there is the part to pull off the first, i'll let you experiment with the rest :)

no reason to give you the WHOLE answer :)

joe

>>> stant_98_at_yahoo.com 06/27/01 12:26PM >>>Hey all,I've got this list of names.It's not a very structured list.So my question would be how do I get this names in aselect statement and break them up in columns: firstname (is the first name in list), last name (lastone),middle name (everything in between first and lastnames)I know that this may be done by using SUBSTR ANDINSTR.But how?Would you please help?Thanks a lot.Here is a fragment of the list of
names:FULL_NAME

-------------------------Caroline

Bernard         Sophia Cadi-Soussi (
Gailhardou )Rudy
Sicard
Luis Haro-Garcma         Philip
Cohen

Socrates Fragoulis       Michael
Munch
Hardip
Kaur
Robert
Szasz
Sebastien Schneider      Telma Quiroga
Lspez      Stiphanie
Frenkel        Samuel
Tietse

Nicola
Rose
Oliver Cornely
Philippe Saiag

M.t. Hamed Mosavian      R. Bruce
Nicklas         Valery
Tsukerman
FULL_NAME
-------------------------Lidiya
Smirenina         Marie-Theres

Hauser      Jelel
Ezzine
Radhi
Mhiri
Franco
Fenzi
Hachne Djellout
Beatrmz Quarterolo       Bram van
Dam
Ted
Gaten
Sergio Aravena
Alberto Monroy-Garcia    Pedro Montecinos Becerra
Michalis Vafopoulos      Klaus E.

Gempel          Guijun
Yan
Stiphane Schaak
Yahoo!?Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail<A href="http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/">http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com-- Author: Stas  INET: stant_98_at_yahoo.comFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jun 27 2001 - 13:10:21 CDT