RE: OT RE: 24 x 7 on NT?

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:20:24 -0700

EXACTLY!! I never say that a tool should be used instead of command line - I'm a great believer of having to know both - as there are pros and cons for both sides of the coin! There are times when the back end agent of a monitoring tool, monitoring on regular basis and alerting you by your mobile phone is a hell of a lot better. Other times you can only achieve what you need through a script..

I do have to say though, that a graphical interface to a database *can* be a great learning tool for a Jr. DBA, providing they have the right tool. As Peter pointed out, some tools will actually show you the SQL that they are going to submit to the database, thereby showing the Jr. what s/he is going to be sending to the database.

If then, they are not sure what it is they are going to send to the database - and still send it anyway without even attempting to do a little research - IMO they are in the wrong job. If the tool is better still, you can review the SQL, and add anything else you feel might be needed, and still submit the script through the tool (for all the snr. DBAs).

I actually use your situation in demos Rachel - We have a monitoring tool, which has a "Blocked Sessions" screen. This will show you in a flow chart picture the blocking session, and any blocked sessions. From there, simply "double-click" the blocker, and go in to a session detail, showing all locks, complete stats for the session (CPU, I/O, waits, blah, blah, blah), all SQL that they have executed that is in the SQLAREA, the current open cursor, and all of the users details - username, terminal name, program etc. Right Mouse Button, and kill the session once you know who it is - call them, tell them why you did it, and problem solved - usually BEFORE anybody calls you, as you typically find a user will wait a minute or two. The tool tells the DBA STRAIGHT AWAY, and will not wait for them to fire of a script.

By that time you will have touched the keyboard ONCE (to enter a privileged user/pass to kill the session). How long would it take the average DBA to do this with scripts? I could do it in about 20-30 seconds with our tool..

It's all swings and roundabouts, and I've rambled enough now :)

Mark

Author: Mark Leith
  INET: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk