Re: OT RE: 24 x 7 on NT?

From: JOE TESTA <JTESTA_at_longaberger.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:45:19 -0700

Mike, i'm with you there.

alter database datafile '/fill/in/name/here' resize 200m;

or right click in OEM and change the size.  As long as you can do the previous then might as well use the latter :)
joe

>>> MHately_at_etech-uk.com 06/27/01 09:26AM >>>More on the same vein. Sorry if this thread is developing a "me too" feel.I'm happy to use GUI tools when they save me time. I know what they're doing andhow they achieve their results.The availability of GUI tools is however a huge disincentive for new DBAs tofind out how the database actually works and leads to a lack of understanding ofthe way the beast works as a whole.If your goal is to be a knowledgeable and effective DBA then you can't beatstarting from the command line and working your way towards GUI when you findyour feet. That requires a long-term viewpoint though, and the world isfocussing increasingly on the short term.If I sound like a Luddite then I've given the wrong impression; that;s just my

4groats-worth.Regards,Mike|--------+------------------------->|

|          Peter McLarty

<peter.mclarty@||

incts.com>

|          06/27/01 01:30

PM

|          Please respond

ORACLE-L    ||

||--------+------------------------->
>-----------------------------------------------------------------|
|
|  |       To:
Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L
|  |
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
|  |       cc:
(bcc: Mike
Hately/ETECH)
|  |

Subject:     Re: OT RE: 24 x 7 on
NT?

I agreeAs a newbie to the Oracle fold I found it oh so easy to dive intostuff  with the DBA Studio, I suppose the thing that stops me is some 7 ormore years hacking around Linux and Unix systems. Graphical tools are greatfor some things but you just cant beat the capabilities of a good scriptand Windows will be a lot better for it now it has a good scripting system.What i found DBA studio for thogh was the show SQL button I could set upsome task to do and then have a look at the SQL that was going to happen soI could better understand it.I am sure when we start seeing more Oracle up on Win2K we will see a lotmore scripting on that side to do those mixed OS and SQLPlus tasks.Peter
McLartypeter.mclarty_at_incts.com04 0209 4238System AdministratorL plate Oracle DBAAt 03:56 AM 27/06/2001 -0800, you wrote:>On June 27, 2001 07:55 am, Mark Leith wrote:> > slapping developers - what's the problem with them?>>No problem slapping developers.... rather enjoy it actually ....>>The issue I have with point & click is the increasing number of>database admins who can only use these tools. Put them in front of a>command line and they will sit and stare blankly. GUI tools can be>great (except when they're written in java :), but you should>actually know what you are doing and the 'how & why' behind it before>you start clicking a database to death.>>Just my cynical
$.02.>Cheers,>GC>----Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A
href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com--Author: Peter McLarty  INET: peter.mclarty_at_incts.comFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A
href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com-- Author:   INET: MHately_at_etech-uk.comFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jun 27 2001 - 08:45:19 CDT