Re: Common Oracle RDBMS Misconceptions - standby db?

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 16:14:34 -0700

But in practice, why would you switch to the standby database, unless the primary database is crashed or worse? You know how it is in a production environment, the database crashes. Even if failover is easy, you always have to instruct users to connect as scott/tiger_at_backup instead of scott/tiger_at_prod - or perhaps modify the tnsnames.ora to make it transparent, or perhaps play with IP addresses which may mean trouble for a while with in-memory routing tables etc. My point is that, even if the switch can be quasi-immediate, it is not so easy, so people will naturally try to make the main machine work first, there will be some delay assessing the damage, waiting until 2am to ring the VP in his bed to get the authorization to switch, etc. In real life, half-an-hour or an hour is easily passed before everybody is back at work on the backup machine, busy trying to catch up on the wasted time. Do not forget that since the transmission of redo logs is asynchronous (I have heard about improvements with 9i) some transactions - committed ones - will have been lost, so users will have to check and probably reenter the missing transactions. At this point the main machine will probably be totally out of order. Wait another 2 or 4 hours to have somebody to come if it's a hardware problem, I guess that when everything is over everybody will be on their knees and the last thing they will have in mind is make the old primary database the new standby - assuming of course that all files are intact. And even if the ex-standby machine is possibly less powerful, everybody will probably wait until a quieter time, say the W/E, to switch back to the initial configuration. At which time, in all likelihood, a full database copy will have become necessary; I think that the simple fact of having reentered a couple of transactions not transmitted yet to the standby database would require it. Do I err ?

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Corporation
Voice:  +44  (0) 7050-696-269
Fax:    +44  (0) 7050-696-449
Performance Tools & Free Scripts
http://www.oriole.com, designed by Oracle DBAs for Oracle DBAs

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Stephane Faroult INET: sfaroult_at_oriole.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).