RE: Re[2]: OT RE: 24 x 7 on NT?

From: Mark Leith <mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:46:38 -0700

<RANT>
WHATEVER you do - DON'T GO ADDING ANY NEW FUNKY HARDWARE!!!

I just got a brand new ELSA GLADIAC 920 graphics card - built on the new nvidia Geoforce 3 chipset with 64mb on board DDR SDRAM! (I can hear any gamers going YUMMMM)!!

So - slip it in to my (not a year old - PIII800 256M RAM Win2K) PC and the damn thing wont work - it switches video modes to go in to a game and turns the screen in to stand by mode (NOW THERE'S A BLACK SCREEN FOR YA!!)!! DAMN THING!! You then have to physically turn the machine off!! Support in their infinite wisdom told me to upgrade my 4in1 drivers for the chipset(VIA), and flash the BIOS(AWARD)! Not a very inviting solution - as a BIOS flash, if gone wrong, will fry your BIOS chip, meaning that you'll need a new motherboard! They then go on to tell me they won't support this. Call up PC support - any they won't support it either!

So there I am raring to get my hands on the ultimate PC gamer experience, and decided to do as they recommend - I updated my VIA 4in1, and flashed the BIOS - and guess what - the f*$^&r STILL WONT WORK!!! I installed the NVIDIA driver - nope.. Installed the Win2K SP2 - nope.. try to tweak the settings for screen res etc. - nope.. Made sure that there were no conflicts with IRQ's etc. - nope..

And at this very moment - IT STILL WON'T WORK!!

DON'T GO THROUGH THE HASSLE!!! </RANT>

Totally off-topic I know as you wouldn't dream of playing games on a database server - but I needed to vent a little there - I've spent hours on this last night!! And will later I suppose..

Any graphics experts out there? PC support etc.?

Mark (Gonna go and cry now) Leith

Author: Mark Leith
  INET: mark_at_cool-tools.co.uk

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jun 26 2001 - 11:46:38 CDT