Re: Archive log destination space check - shell script

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:47:14 -0700

On Monday 25 June 2001 20:00, Viraj Luthra wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I had seen a unix shell script on this list, which basically checks the
> space availability for the archive log. If the space is less than 10%
> available for the archive log, then it can send a pager or email stating
> that.

Here, I whipped one up for you, completely untested.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to complete the missing portions. This would include a correct email address ( or pager address ), the appropriate action to take when the filesystem is too full, and of course, specifying the correct filesytem to check.

And of course, make sure it works.

This message will never self destruct, as I'm sure there are several unknown servers archiving this entire list to parts unknown.

Jared

#!/usr/bin/ksh

USRBIN=/usr/bin
BIN=/bin

MAILX=$USRBIN/mailx
AWK=$USRBIN/awk
CUT=$USRBIN/cut
DF=$BIN/df

GREP=$USRBIN/grep
DATE=$BIN/date
FIND=$USRBIN/find

RM=$BIN/rm
XARGS=$USRBIN/xargs

FILESYSTEM=/u02
ARCH_DIR=$FILESYSTEM/arch/db01

MAX_PCT_USED=20 ADDRESS=dba_at_oracle.com

PCT_USED=$($DF -k /u02 | $GREP -v ^Filesystem | $AWK '{ print $5 }' | $CUT -d% -f1)

echo PCT USED: $PCT_USED

[ $PCT_USED -gt $MAX_PCT_USED ] && {

        # log your actions here in some log file
        # LOGDATE=$( $DATE +%Y%m%d:%H%M%S )
        # LOGFILE=$ORACLE_HOME/admin/bdump/archive_move.log
        # echo $LOGDATE - cleaning up log dir

        # tell somebody
        echo "filesystem $FILESYSTEM is $PCT_USED full " |  $MAILX -s 'Hey! Cleaning
up archive logs' $ADDRESS
        for f in $( $FIND $ARCH_DIR -name "arch*.log" -print )
        do
                $ECHO $f
                #$ECHO $f >> $LOGFILE

                # remove file?
                #$RM $f

                # ftp file somewhere, back it up, etc...
                # your commands here

        done

}

Author: Jared Still