RE: 24 x 7 on NT?

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:07:38 -0700

Ron,

I'm going to say that it might be possible with some provisions.

eg - what does 24*7 actually mean in your context:

        I believe 99% uptime gives 87 hours down per year
        whilst 99.9999% uptime gives half a minute downtime per year.

Which end of the spectrum are you after?

I have an NT Oracle server that has been up for 271 days without any reboots.
So is it possible - yes, is it normal - probably not.

As Tom said, don't install new software regularly (ie not at all unless its critical).
Have a separate test machine and probably a separate development machine - ideally exactly same hardware.

Obviously for a single machine you will have hardware RAID. But disk controllers might be a point of redundancy so have dual controllers with automatic failover of RAID sets between the controllers.

Have hot swappable components - get written guarantees from the hardware supplier AND the hardware maintenance suppliers that everything is hot swappable AND that they will make use of the hot swappability when they replace failed components (yes we've been caught out here).

But, this probably will still leave you (at least in the NT world) with CPU, memory and motherboard that can not be replaced unless you take the server down.

So perhaps you need a second machine.
What type of failover do you want / need to this machine - this will depend upon your real uptime requirements - how much does a minute of downtime really cost?

You will want remote management software that works via dial-in (eg PC Anywhere, VNC or ???) and I would recommend some sort of hardware remote control as well that works without NT and allows remote power up / power down (eg DELL DRAC card).

Maybe you want OPS - but still shared disks and in the same room if you use standard NT clustering.
Maybe just clustering plus Oracle failsafe?

Maybe you need an NT clustering environment that has replicated disks at a remote data site.

Maybe a remote standby server will meet your requirements. Maybe all you need is an identical server that you can manually swap the drives with and you have a "luke-warm" redundant server.

Are you going to use a "normal" variant of NT (eg NT4 Server, 2000 Advanced Server) or are you going to look into Datacentre server?

Have a look at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/business/overview/rel iable/default.asp.

Don't forget other points that are applicable regardless of the server OS - eg can your application provide 24*7, how will you do application upgrades, how will you do Oracle upgrades, do you need dual network cards, maybe even dual network hubs - all this relates back to how much does downtime really cost you?

I hope this helps and will be interested to hear your final decision.

And if you're interested - we have a NT forms application that runs 24 * 7 on NT (as in it is used interactively by operators 24 hours a day, every day of the year), but our application uptime requirement is probably something like 99.8%, we don't have a cluster, but we do have an identical server that can run the application, and we are currently running NT4. We have to shut the application down to do application upgrades and they occur every few weeks.

Regards,
Bruce Reardon
Author: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY)
  INET: Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jun 25 2001 - 18:07:38 CDT