RE: License high water mark

From: <MHately_at_etech-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:37:26 -0700

Dave,

I've never seen the license HWM cause a problem. It's usually informational in order for the DBA or auditors to tell if them have purchased sufficient licenses.
"Internal limit" messages often indicate that a process is trying to exceed a user or system limit (memory/semaphores/file handles etc.). If your DB crashed you should look for any core or trace files that might have further info.
You could also check that the instance has not left shared memory segments lying in RAM.

EMN0 is a process which is used as part of Advanced Queueing to notify processes that a message has arrived.
If you don't use AQ then you can ignore these messages.

The alert log seems to show a perfectly normal shutdown. Is it possible that someone has accidentaly kicked off a backup?

Regards,
Mike Hately,
Oracle DBA

|--------+--------------------------------->

|        |          "Farnsworth, Dave"     |
|        |          <DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurn|
|        |          iture.com>             |
|        |                                 |
|        |          06/25/01 04:06 PM      |
|        |          Please respond to      |
|        |          ORACLE-L               |

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------| | | | To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> | | cc: (bcc: Mike Hately/ETECH) | | Subject: RE: License high water mark | >----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I mentioned the license high water mark as the culprit because I do not see it listed in my <SID>Alert file any other time that the database was shut down. For all I know I am way off base. I was looking for something different from the other shutdowns. I should also be considering the EMNO process that restarted right before the database shutdown. Someone else on the list mentioned that this was a problem for them also. What I do not like is that the database just up and shut itself down with no warning. I suppose this is the time to open a TAR(oh the agony of it) with Oracle.

Thanks,

Dave

     Author: Farnsworth, Dave
       INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

  INET: MHately_at_etech-uk.com