Re: Using Recovery Catalog with RMAN

From: <Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 04:54:57 -0700

Donald,

We have a second catalog of the same version number on a different small UNIX machine which we back up the first catalog database to. We also export the first catalog database.

Cherie Machler
Oracle DBA
Gelco Information Network

                    "Donald Bricker"

                    <Donald.Bricker_at_epa.st        To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    ate.il.us>                    cc:

                    Sent by:                      Subject:     Using Recovery Catalog
with RMAN
                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    06/22/01 05:11 PM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Solaris 2.6
Oracle 8.1.6

What are some practical ways that people have came up with to protect the RMAN recovery catalog? We have the catalog in a separate database on the same box as the database we are wanting to backup. The situation came up recently where the all three control files for both databases were corrupted by an attempted OS upgrade. So we could not bring up the database that contained the Recovery Catalog. How are people approaching the backup of the database which contains the Recovery Catalog?

All input is appreciated

Don Bricker
Information Systems Analyst
Illinois Environmental Protection Agency 1021 North Grand Avenue East
Mail Code #32
Springfield, IL 62794-9276
Donald.Bricker_at_epa.state.il.us
(217) 558-2290