RE: Deadlock Detection

From: <Riyaj_Shamsudeen_at_i2.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:50:38 -0700

Hi
        I think, you may be hitting another parameter before you exceed distributed transactions limit. If you look at your original trace the enqueue is DX-0000003b-00000000. Here 3b is hex representation of 59. Considering the initial allocation is 60, this may be the last element in the distributed transactions array. So, why would a process select a last element of the array and wait for that transaction to complete. I think, there are two other parameters open_links and open_links_per_instance need to be increased. Default value for these parameters are 4 and 4.  So, I think, if the instance does not have enough links, then it pseudo randomly selects a distributed transaction slot array element and waits for it. Again, this is my guess and it would be worth a try to increase these two parameters and see whether that fixes the problem or ! !
not.

Mr. Steve Adams,
        Can you please explain this to us ? Thanks
Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
Certified Oracle DBA
i2 technologies   www.i2.com

"Mercadante, Thomas F" <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
06/22/01 02:48 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Deadlock Detection

Anita & Riyaj,

Thanks for the replies.  My email server "went away" for awhile, so I am just getting your replies now.
Anita, I am able to modify INITRANS for the tables (I tried this on a test table), and I will try this.  Right now, we are performing other stress tests to narrow down the problem to be sure that it is update related (has to be, right?).
Riyaj, I checked the value of  max_utilization vs initial_Allocation in the v$resource_Limit view for distributed transactions.  Max_util=5, while init_alloc=61.  Is the value of 61 a default?  I do not have it set in my init.ora (maybe I should! - something else to try).  The value of Transactions is max=5, init=247 and limit=247.
It doesn't seem to be stressed according to these values, right?
As for distributed Trans, we are using VB calling ADO using COM+ connecting to Oracle.  My impression is that ADO and COM+ are performing the distributed trans, but that the ADO performs the commits?
I'm not at all familiar with how ADO/COM+ works, but I guess I better bring a book home and figure it out.
Any other ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.
thanks
Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional
Author: A. Bardeen
 INET: abardeen1_at_yahoo.com

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists