Re: OPS in Sun E10K

From: JOE TESTA <JTESTA_at_longaberger.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:40:24 -0700

i dont think thats a valid statement anymore, "<FONT face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size=2>but the administration overhead you will face is negligible compared to the performance boost you can achieve. "

You said it has been a few years
since then, have you tried any of the "new" type filesystems, recently?

joe

>>> Riyaj_Shamsudeen_at_i2.com 06/22/01 03:06PM
>>>Bala <FONT

face=sans-serif size=2>        I don't see any responses. So, please ignore if this is already answered. <FONT face=sans-serif size=2>        First of all, In Sun, you have to use RAW for an Oracle Parallel Server database. (I am not sure whether you can use Veritas Quick I/O to configure OPS, my guess would be no). Second, if it is a performance critical database with high concurrent activity, even in a non-OPS set up, I would go for RAW or Quick IO. <FONT face=sans-serif size=2>        There is always the discussion about the raw vs file system, but the administration overhead you will face is negligible compared to the performance boost you can achieve. I agree that you need to preconfigure the volumes and plan the size etc.., but in a production database that needs to be done anyway. Most of the backup software don't care whether it is a file system or raw either.  On the other hand you avoid double copying, double buffering, vnode lock etc. Specifically, if you use multiple DBWRs also to simulate async IO, vnode lock will serialize your writes degrading the scalability. You can also achieve true asynchronous IO also if you raw disk based database.
  Couple of years ago, at my previous employer, we converted few databases to raw and our performance was much better. Particularly, considering that we had I/O intensive OLTP application, we were able to scale beyond the requirements easily. ThanksRiyaj
"Re-yas" ShamsudeenCertified Oracle DBAi2 technologies   www.i2.com

    Balakrishnan Subramanian

      <c-bala.subramanian_at_wcom.com> <FONT face=sans-serif
      size=1>Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
      06/22/01 10:10 AM <FONT
      face=sans-serif size=1>Please respond to ORACLE-L
            <FONT
      face=sans-serif size=1>        To:
         Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
      <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> <FONT face=sans-serif
      size=1>        cc:
              Subject:
             OPS in Sun

E10K<FONT face="Courier New"
size=2>System : Sun E10KOS : Sun solaris 2.8Oracle : 8i Rel 3 64bit optionDatabase : OPSType : OLTP &# concurrent users : 1000 (including US and international users Europe, Asia& Australia)Our System admin suggesting us to go for File system (veritas, withoutVeritas quick i/o) instead of raw devices, the reason is ease ofmaintenance.  He says, with OS and Oracle tuning, we can bring OPS upto thelevel of raw device performance.I appreciate if you can share your experience.Thanks,Bala.-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com-- Author: Balakrishnan
Subramanian INET: c-bala.subramanian_at_wcom.comFat City Network
Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego,
California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jun 22 2001 - 13:40:24 CDT