Re: Database in archivelog mode

From: Saurabh Sharma <ssharma1_at_fcsltd.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:56:18 -0700

u must mount the database in exclusive mode, before putting the cmd for alter database.

just give.
shutdown immediate
startup mount exclusive
alter database archivelog;
alter database open;

or do another
shutdown immediate
startup

will do the problem solved.
i've done it several times.

Well there is no need to specify the alter system archive log start as you have already done this by specifying the log_archive_start=true in the init.ora. Try 'alter system switch logfile' command a couple of times and see if anything is written to disk. Check using 'archive log list' command it should show u the status of archive.

Regards

                    murosa_at_bankin
                    ter.es               To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L
                    Sent by:             <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    root_at_fatcity.        cc:
                    com                  Subject:     Database in archivelog
mode
                    22-Jun-2001
                    01:15 AM
                    Please
                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

                    Sender Info:
                    No Sender
                    Info found in
                    the address
                    Book

     Hi folks.

     I  have  a very strange behavour in a database. I want to put database
in archivelog mode, I've changed log_archive_start to true, log_archive_dest_1 to a location where I can write and log_archive_start to true. Then I follow next sequence:
          shutdown immediate;
          startup mount
          alter database archivelog;
          alter database open;
          alter system archive log start;

     In third step I get:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01126: database must be mounted EXCLUSIVE and not open for this operation.

     Next two sentence are executed correctly. When I select * from v$instance; I've got
SQL> select * from v$instance;

INSTANCE_NUMBER INSTANCE_NAME
--------------- ----------------

HOST_NAME

VERSION STARTUP_T STATUS PAR THREAD# ARCHIVE LOG_SWITCH_
----------------- --------- ------- --- ---------- ------- -----------
LOGINS SHU DATABASE_STATUS INSTANCE_ROLE
---------- --- ----------------- ------------------

              2 webspher2
ebkppr02

8.1.6.3.0         21-JUN-01 OPEN    YES          2 STARTED
ALLOWED    NO  ACTIVE            PRIMARY_INSTANCE

in both instance, because is an OPS.

     Initalization parameter remote_login_password is exclusive. I know that I have an error but I don't know which and why, but it doesn't work in archivelog mode.

     Anybody can help me?.

     Thank you very much in advance.

     Miguel Urosa.

"Este mensaje y los documentos que, en su caso, lleve anexos, pueden contener información confidencial. Por ello, se informa a quien lo reciba por error que la información contenida en el mismo es reservada y su uso no autorizado está prohibido legalmente, por lo que en tal caso le rogamos que nos lo comunique por la misma vía o por teléfono (901 113 113) , se abstenga de realizar copias del mensaje o remitirlo o entregarlo a otra persona y proceda a borrarlo de inmediato."

  INET: murosa_at_bankinter.es

Visit us at www.singaporeair.com.

  INET: Ravinder_Bahadur_at_singaporeair.com.sg

Author: Saurabh Sharma
  INET: ssharma1_at_fcsltd.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jun 22 2001 - 00:56:18 CDT